It’s something we were forced to do every six months as children, yet something so many of us fail to follow through with as adults – visiting a Michigan City dental practice on a regular basis. Whether you choose to blame a busy work schedule, a hectic family life or a demanding social schedule, one thing’s for sure – we should all make time for the dentist, or we might seriously regret it later in life.
Just because you brush your teeth twice a day and floss a few times a week doesn’t mean you’re exempt from making a visit to the dentist. If your teeth aren’t properly cleaned at least once a year, you run the risk of serious health issues like gum disease, coronary artery disease and dementia.
If you think you’ve waited too long to visit your dentist, you probably have. And, chances are, you’ve probably recognized at least one of the following symptoms of poor oral health. If you’re experiencing any of the signs below, you need to make an appointment with a Michigan City dental practice right away!
1. Tooth Pain: It’s difficult to ignore tooth pain. When a toothache hits, you’re willing to do anything to get it treated. It’s obvious there’s something wrong if you’re experiencing tooth pain but it might be more serious than you think.
2. Inflamed Gums: If your gums are swollen and inflamed, you definitely need to book an appointment with your Michigan City dental practice. Inflamed gums are caused by hardened plaque that has accumulated under your gum line and can often be a sign of gingivitis or a more advanced condition which can lead to tooth loss if not treated early enough.
3. White Spots on Teeth: White spots on your teeth are the first signs of dental decay, which is an infection in your tooth where the enamel begins to dissolve in response to acid produced by bacteria.
4. Sensitivity to Hot and Cold: If you’re experiencing an increased sensitivity to hot and cold, tooth decay could be the reason. When dental decay first occurs, it affects the surface of your teeth. As the condition advances it makes its way into the center of the tooth where the nerves and blood vessels are located.
5. Changes of Color in the Mouth: When you’re brushing your teeth every day, look inside your mouth to make sure everything is normal. Look at your cheeks, the top of your tongue and underneath your tongue to make sure there is no discoloration, lumps or inconsistencies.
6. Canker Sores: Canker sores are quite common. If your canker goes away within a few days, they shouldn’t be cause for concern. If you have one that won’t heal, however, you need to seek dental attention immediately.
7. Dry Mouth: Dry mouth can occur for a few different reasons. Sometimes, a dry mouth comes with age. It’s also a common side effect with many prescription drugs. However, if there’s no explanation for sudden dry mouth symptoms, it’s important you visit your Michigan City dental practice.
8. Headaches: Most people don’t associate headaches with oral care but the two can be very closely related. If you’re experiencing frequent headaches (especially in the morning), you might be grinding your teeth in the night.
9. Bad Breath: Bad breath is one of the first signs of gingivitis. When left untreated, gingivitis can lead to periodontitis, which can lead to tooth loss and other serious health conditions.
10. Metallic Taste in the Mouth: Do you sometimes feel like you’ve just chewed on a bunch of coins? It sounds odd but a popular sign of gingivitis (and possible periodontitis) is a metallic taste in the mouth.
If you are experiencing even one of these issues, it’s time for a visit to your Michigan City. The longer you neglect these symptoms, the worse the problem will get. So don’t hesitate – call our office today to schedule a consultation.